Friday, February 26, 2010

The First Stage of a New Project

When I begin a new sewing project,  there are a lot of small steps that need to be taken before you get to the actual sewing and putting together. For instance, once I've decided on a  pattern, I read through it a couple of times so I know how everything will come together and what I will need. After that I  choose the fabric and interfacing I'm going to use. I also choose co-ordinating thread and notions.   The first thing I do when I buy fabric is to wash, dry and iron it, so it's  ready  to make something.  Next, I  lay out the fabric and pin the pattern pieces. Once pinned I cut all the pieces out.  For this particular bag I've chosen Micheal Miller's Large Whimsy Doozie in Blue with navy blue Kona cotton for the lining.



 I'm using fusible interlining so after the pieces are cut I trim the interlining and then iron it to the wrong side of the main fabric, or to whatever the pattern suggests.


                                                                             


                     Once all of this is done I'm ready to start sewing. What's your new project? What types of materials are you using?  Leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!                           .















                                                                     

1 comment:

  1. Love the pink scissors! And that rotary cutter looks handy... I've always wanted one of those! N x

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment